Speakers for Bourne End and District U3a Monthly Meetings 2018
Our monthly meeting is where members can keep up to date with current news and have time to meet other members. If you are not a member and are interested in joining you are welcome to come along – no charge.
They are held in the Community Centre, Wakeman Road, Bourne End and start at 2.00 pm.
December 18th: Christmas Quiz and Social Event
This is now fully booked, due to seating restrictions.
January 22nd 2019: William French Butler to Royalty
William worked in the royal household as well as for a number of celebrities in Hollywood.
February 26th: Vanessa Bull-Domican Wills and Powers of Attorney.
Vanessa is the managing director of Black Law solicitors in Flackwell Heath.
March 26th: AGM & Michelle Sapwell Hearing dogs for Deaf People
Michelle or a colleague will talk about the remarkable work done by the dogs, how they are trained etc and MAY be able to bring a dog with them but this is not promised!
Those we have already had:
- April 24th: Tom Way. Wildlife on your doorstep
Tom is an award winning professional fine art photographer. In addition to showing us excellent photos he will talk about how he took the pictures and what equipment he used
- May 22nd: Richard Poad The Shakers – much more then pretty boxes and fancy kitchens
Richard is the chairman of the Maidenhead heritage center and will tell us about The shakers who are the longest surviving utopian society in North America and have had a huge cultural influence.
- June 26th: Dan Allen What did you do in the War Granny? Women in WW1
Dan is a member of the Victorian Military Society and will talk about the almost unknown history of how women served in the first world war and the contribution they made.
- July 24th: Charlotte Russell The history of Fairy Tales
Charlotte will be talking to us about how/why fairy tales developed
- August 28th: Ian Keeble Dickens as a conjuror, including demonstrations of some of his tricks’
Charles Dickens was an amateur conjuror for 7 years. Ian will talk about how Dickens was inspired to take up magic. How he wrote about magic and will show us some of Dickens’ magic tricks.
- September 25th: Gerry Thwaites Royal yacht Britannia
Gerry served as the senior engineer on the Royal Yacht and will tell us tales of his time on board.
- October 23rd: Ana Coggon Gardens and Plants of Piet Oudolf – Master of new wave planting
Ana is a professional garden designer who has won awards for her show gardens. She will talk about Piet Oudolf and show us stunning pictures of gardens he has created in USA, UK and Holland.
- November 27th: Steve Roberts Tales of a Scotland Yard detective
Steve is a retired detective and he will talk to us of his experiences as a detective and as part of the flying Squad